Two people were injured today when a mattress caught fire on the ninth floor of a West Loop apartment building.
The blaze at 130 S. Canal St. started around 11:45 a.m., said Chicago Fire Department spokesman Richard Rosado.
Firefighters used fire extinguishers to contain the fire to a single apartment on the ninth floor of the 11-story building, Rosado said. The fire was quelled so quickly that people did not need to evacuate the building.
Two maintenance workers were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation, Rosado said.
The workers are in good condition and were conscious and alert before being taken to the hospital, he said.